This is an exciting time for the business and the IT Department plays a crucial role in its success by delivering cutting edge technology to our end users and clients. As part of our Technology Strategy we are embarking on the Cloud journey and looking to adopt Microsoft Azure to host our proprietary technology applications.
Due to the successful growth of our business on a global level, coupled with our philosophy around continuous improvement, this role will provide the necessary skills and expertise to successfully manage, develop, expand and oversee the Data Services team.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Reporting to the IT Development Director, the Data Services Manager will lead the team responsible for delivery of data solutions for internal, client and supplier stakeholders. Data solutions embrace BI/MI reporting via SSRS, Tableau and proprietary reporting platforms, and electronic data interchange (EDI) with clients and suppliers. Supporting our ISO:27001 (Information Security Management) accreditation, a strong emphasis is placed on platform performance, robustness, availability, integrity and security of data. The Data Services Manager will play a key role in setting the strategic direction of our data management capabilities.
Lead by example in being courteous, proactive, helpful and respectful with everyone around you.
Build a self-motivating team where people take ownership of problems, see them through to resolution and never walk past an issue without doing something about it.
- Lead the strategic architectural and development of business intelligence solutions.
- Manage the data services team and ensure that it provides a proactive efficient and mature service to the organisation globally.
- Work with the IT management team to ensure that business priorities are met.
- Lead, mentor, train & support team members.
- Ensure all teams are working in an agile methodology.
- Work with the team to understand, estimate and allocate work ready for a sprint.
- Ensure that the customer remains front and centre of future BI developments.
- Drive adoption of the self-serve data products with both internal and external customers.
- Promote knowledge sharing and ensure that documentation is captured and updated regularly in line with implemented changes.
- Set team and individual objectives, conduct regular performance review and annual appraisals.
- Evaluate new technologies and innovations relevant to the travel industry.
- Contribute to the ongoing certification of our ISO:27001 (Information Security), ISO:22301 (Business Continuity), ISO:9001 (QMS), PCI (Payment Card Protection) accreditations and GDPR compliance through the adoption of secure development practices and security by design.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to gather user requirements and work on own initiative to produce innovative solutions.
- People (team) management and team building experience.
- Ability to facilitate workshops and solution sessions.
- Maturity and confidence to communicate at all levels.
- Customer service skills orientated with the ability to anticipate user needs.
- Proven experience in a commercial business intelligence and data engineering (min 5x year).
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- In depth knowledge of SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016 and SQL Azure.
- Proven experience of SSRS and Tableau (min 5x year).
- Experience in Data Warehousing techniques and methodologies.
- Previous experience of working to an Agile development methodology.
- Azure/Cloud deployment of SQL is desirable.
- Prior travel industry experience advantageous but not essential.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
Educated to A-Level standard minimum (or relevant IT qualification).
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
We think it’s very important that you take responsibility and drive your own personal and professional development. R&M encourage individuals to pursue professional accreditations and provide support for external exams.
R&M operate an open culture, providing the opportunity for their staff to build valuable management, business and commercial experience to complement their proven technical skill set. This role provides the opportunity to participate and influence the technical strategic roadmap for Data Services within a rapidly growing Global organisation.
WORKING HOURS AND TRAVEL:
This role will be based out of R&M’s head office which is based in London (Farringdon Street). The core UK business hours (08:30 – 18:00 Monday to Friday) – 7.5x hour working day. There will be a requirement to visit our Development Centre (Colchester) on a regular basis. Some International travel may be required with this role.
Responsible for assisting with compliance to Reed & Mackay’s certification programmes and policies.